Wednesday, September 23, 2015

IT IS OFFICIALLY FALL!!!

Fall officially arrived at 1:22 PDT this morning!  For some unexplained reason, I woke up at exactly 1:22.  I guess my circadian clock wanted to remind me of how much I had been looking forward to this season!
I posted this passage on my FB page this morning and I think it is so good I am sharing again.  I can just picture my agrarian ancestors when I read this. And I like the idea of those relationships with neighbors. 
So commence the feasting!!!

"The harvest is a time of thanks, and also a time of balance -- after all, there are equal hours of daylight and darkness. While we celebrate the gifts of the earth, we also accept that the soil is dying. We have food to eat, but the crops are brown and going dormant. Warmth is behind us, cold lies ahead."
"Early agricultural societies understood the importance of hospitality -- it was crucial to develop a relationship with your neighbors, because they might be the ones to help you when your family ran out of food. Many people, particularly in rural villages, celebrated the harvest with great deals of feasting, drinking, and eating. After all, the grain had been made into bread, beer and wine had been made, and the cattle were brought down from the summer pastures for the coming winter."

~Suzanne

No comments:

Post a Comment